Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wednesday May 28th


Today began with the four-year-old and I discovering the 20Q toy. After he learned how to play, he instantly became hooked and we probably played using every object in the playroom. SeƱora Botella stopped by and watched us trick the toy several times because the boy continued to pick complex objects such as a red bulldozer truck instead of just a car. With another volunteer, we went downstairs to watch the ball machine shown below. We ended up spending a while there because he wouldn't leave until the ball went down a certain path ten times. Today was a highlight for me personally because it was the first time I was told how important I truly am to my floor at Rainbow. I was always aware of how potentially vital I could be to the well being of the patients and their families throughout their stays at the hospital, but I never had been told specifically. Now that I have been here for about two weeks, I have formed bonds with not only the patients and their siblings but also with parents, extended family, and the nurses who have begun to speak out about how crucial my co-volunteers and I are. For example, the father of the four-year-old boy I have become so close with has been quite worried about the health of his other son. Even in such a dire time for him and his family, he did not hesitate to tell me that I make being in the hospital almost manageable. These types of comments are what motivate me to continue to make a difference on my floor during my last few days at Rainbow.




No comments:

Post a Comment