Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Squeamish?

For the past two days I have been with Tara Bonner who is very handy with Robotics and Mechanical Engineering. Since I knew these things before starting my time with her little did I expect to observe not one, but two leg dissections. No, not surgeries, leg dissections. The team used two cadaver legs to be able to look at the knee. I would go into great detail here, but I believe Sra. Botella would prefer I not. Let’s just say I was able to stand as close as I needed and there were times I was told to come close and take a close look. At first I couldn’t believe it, it didn’t even seem real. While the blood and cutting of the skin was pretty gross. The worst part- by far- was when they sawed through the bones, at that point I had to step out. The point of all this was to examine the knee and test which kind of ACL repair works better in pediatric patients. I haven’t seen the ACL reconstruction yet, that is tomorrow, and truthfully I’m excited because they said that is the most interesting part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment