Wednesday, May 14, 2014

First Day

Today, after making my way into Progressive Field, I quickly found myself downstairs, underneath the stadium.  After meeting my Seth Cooper, director of Ballpark Operations at the stadium, we quickly went off on to the first thing on the list.  We met up with two other workers, Whitney and Mike, and discussed moving scoreboard equipment into a different room.  As we tackled other miscellaneous tasks throughout the morning, I was given a tour of the ballpark.  We made our way through both clubhouses and out into the dugouts where we checked on heaters mounted on the roofs of the dugouts that needed to be raised.  We crossed the field in order to get to the other dugout and I got a glimpse of how they maintain the field.  As a bonus, Mr. Cooper also took me up to the suites and announcers booths.  We also spent part of the morning focusing on installing and testing metal detectors at the gates which will be mandatory at all stadiums next season.  We also looked at a new project that the Indians are doing which is starting their own garden.  It is out in the players parking lot and planting is supposed to begin tomorrow.  After lunch, I was given a tour of security, the replay room, and was able to take a quick peek into the conference room where the organization is preparing for the MLB Draft quickly approaching.  It was an awesome first day at the stadium and I'm excited to work in Merchandising and Distribution tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful start to your project! I think that it is really exciting that you got to have a tour of the ball park. It is even more interesting that you get to participate in the behind the scenes work at the stadium because most of that work is overlooked when the games are going on. Your project sounds extremely intriguing and I can't wait to read more about it. Also hopefully all of your hard work will be rewarded with some free tickets!

    ReplyDelete