Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Game Day Pandemonium

My past two days with the Indians have been a cluster of many different facets of Ballpark Operations mixed together to create an incredible experience.  I started off Tuesday morning in a very different way.  Walking across Gate A on my way in, I could hear something across the field.  Once I got in, Seth told me that Mike and Mike, the ESPN talk show, was there because Progressive sponsors them.  I caught the last hour of the show in which they interviewed Terry Francona and Mike Pettine.  During this time, I got to see how crazy of a production is put on for a show that only lasts a few hours.  It was awesome to witness how much work is carried out behind the scenes.  The rest of my morning was completing some of the same work I have been doing with Seth: brief meetings and quick checkups.  But Tuesday afternoon I was in the Visitors’ Clubhouse helping Willie Jenks, the manager of the clubhouse, set up for the Tigers that afternoon.  The work I did there consisted of a lot of laundry, brief meetings, and other miscellaneous tasks.  But, I was able to see some players though I didn't know any of their names and I briefly got to meet Nicky Swish on my way out.  Today was much different.  With the game being at noon and buses filled with kids making their way to the field, production was already underway when I arrived.  My morning consisted of imputing delivery orders into a computer that are sent out to the MLB where they trace every order and see what was sent.  This took some time seeing as there are dozens of packages that come in each day.  I also helped Andy, who I've been working with every day this week; unload shipments from UPS and FedEx.  This afternoon was much different.  Seeing as the game was at noon, Seth, Omar, I and a few others made our way upstairs by the announcer's booth to grab a bite to eat and watch some of the game.  Then, Omar took me to the "runners" who are guys that work under him who set up and take down special events and fencing off of areas.  During the game we began to take down areas fenced off in order for people to leave the stadium in a more organized way.  After that was all done, I made my way up to school for track.
Mike and Mike doing their show at the field.

This is the back wall of Willie's office.  It's just filled with autographs.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment