Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Inspiring Hope

Previously I had spoken with Ela Plow, the Principal Investigator of the lab, to understand her work, but last Friday I was able to see her work in action. I was able to observe 2 stroke patients going through their physical therapy routines, it was truly inspiring. Both were towards the end of their treatment and as I was told had improved by leaps and bounds. Both had a strong determination to not allow this unfortunate event to prevent them from continuing their lives. Neither, wanted sympathy or felt sorry for themselves, they simply wanted their old life back.
I watched the first as he struggled to lift a bar over his head and keep it there for a length of time. It truly looked like an intense work out for him, but he would not take a break he was determine and focused. He was on the right track and he wasn’t going to stop just because he was a little tired.
The second was impaired cognitively but that did not prevent him from social interaction. From the moment he walked into the room he made easy conversation and small jokes. He asked questions about why I was here and what I was planning on doing with my life and how my project was going.  He was happy and determined to push away the problems that arrive in the aftermath of a stroke.

Even if it wasn’t their goal, both of these men impressed me and gave me hope for my grandfather who also suffers from the complications of a stroke. My hope is restored that someday, like these men he will also take leaps and bounds towards his past self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment