Saturday, May 17, 2014

First Two Days at Rainbow


            My first two days at the Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital were quite fulfilling. Since I had to miss the first day for sectionals for tennis, I was behind when I started this past Thursday. After getting lost a few times, I finally managed to complete the necessary paperwork and the required TB test. I then met Maggie, one of my supervisors, and she gave me a tour of the fifth floor of the hospital, providing me with a visual picture of how to direct my efforts.
            Having other tasks to attend to, Maggie then left me on the floor with a nurse who asked if I could watch a three year old boy while his mother goes to eat. I entered the room and the boy was sleeping soundly. Soon enough, some of the nurses scurried in to treat the boy, who was upset that they had disturbed his deep sleep. I felt motivated to make him feel better after observing his struggle to sleep. As evidenced by his car-decorated pajamas, I knew he liked cars, so I decided to draw him a few. When I headed back toward his room with my drawing, I began hearing his screams. I peered through the doorway to see nurses and doctors scattered throughout his room, as he was undergoing another form of treatment. They were trying arduously to calm him, but nothing seemed to work. I raised the picture, and it immediately caught his attention. It was a heartwarming feeling to see the boy stop crying and muster a smile.
            Other than trying to help children cope with the difficulties they have to face daily, it is also my duty to organize and manage the playroom on the floor and to wipe down each toy in order to limit any spread of germs on the floor. Another nurse interrupted my cleaning on that first day, informing me that a girl was asking for some company. I was told that the girl had been in the hospital for quite some time, so I was shocked to see how cheerful she was. We talked about everything from Beyoncé to SpongeBob, and I knew just my standing by her bedside, I had made a big difference in her day. The rest of my first day was spent encouraging patients to come downstairs for a bingo game that was being held, while also bringing toys to those who were not permitted to leave their rooms.
            The second day, however, I managed to let a twelve year old who is supposed to remain in his room into the playroom. Since his family cannot visit often and he becomes lonely, the boy has an urge to disobey his doctors by convincing the newer volunteers that he is allowed in the playroom. It was disheartening to see that the boy could not even be let out of his prison-like hospital room. I walked the boy back to his room, and after having to put on smock, mask and gloves, endured several losses to him in both Madden and Wii Sports. After, I solved numerous puzzles with a one year old and raced her with popper push toys. I also constructed a 3-D bird out of paper with an eight year old and had a long battle in air hockey with the sister of another patient.
            After wiping down all the toys, cleaning the room, and locking the playroom door so patients wouldn’t play unsupervised, I exited the floor for the week with a smile on my face. It surely is a rewarding feeling to know that I have the opportunity to brighten the days of children who have to endure long and gloomy times at the hospital.

2 comments:

  1. Adam your project sounds amazing and extremely rewarding! It's so heartwarming to hear about how you are helping out these kids. It's even more inspirational to see that the smallest things like drawing a picture or spending time out of your day to talk to them will brighten their whole day. Keep up the amazing work it's truly remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam! It is truly amazing what you are doing for these kids, just reading your post brought tears to my eyes. It seems like a very hard project, to see all those ill kids in the hospital and have to put on a brave face and cheer them up, but I can think of no better person to do that than you. You are making a huge difference in these kids' lives and you'll never really know how large of an impact you had on their day.

    ReplyDelete