Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tuesday May 27th


This week began on Tuesday with me taking the four-year-old boy I had been with all last week back to the playroom. We searched through the cabinets filled with toys and found Connect 4. It only took a minute for our game to turn into a competition of who could put the most pieces in the board. He then joined me only my trip around the floor to comfort several patients who couldn’t leave their rooms by talking to them or bringing them toys they wanted. We met a seven-year-old girl and talked about how much we all like Spiderman. Next, we went outside to the hospital’s playground shown below. His grandma then came and wanted to spend some time with him, so I went off to play Wii with a newer patient. We couldn't resist Wii Sports bowling, and ended up playing with his grandma for about an hour. He started off a bit slow, but stepped us his game and was able to beat both of us. This day, however, was one of those days were the realities of being in a hospital struck me, as I overheard nurses discussing how they were uncertain if one of the patients would survive. Being in this type of atmosphere truly makes me appreciate all that I am fortunate enough to have and continues to fuel my urge to do all I can to help these less fortunate children.


No comments:

Post a Comment